Oct 2014

 
VILLAGE COUNCIL PROCEEDINGS
October 6, 2014

Lincoln Village Council met on Monday October 6, 2014, at 7 p.m. at the Village Hall.  Meeting opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.  In attendance included: President Jordan, Treasurer Kossa, Clerk Somers, Council Members Gauthier, Naylor, Phillips, Somers and Stutzman.  Council Member Healy was absent. 

Minutes of the September meeting were approved on a motion from Gauthier with support from Phillips. Treasurerís report was approved subject to audit on a motion from Gauthier with support from Stutzman. There are a lot of new reports being generated following the recent audit that was done.  Gauthier stated that she feels that there is too much paperwork that is not easily understood by most people.  Attorney Cook stated that he believes this will be necessary to bring things into line.  Gauthier asked if it would be possible to have the auditors come to a meeting in the future to help us understand the reporting process.

Mike Serafin, fire chief, gave a report of the activity within the fire department and medical first responders. This past month was relatively quiet.  He stated that there are 18 firefighters with varying degrees of qualifications.  There are six  EMTís, five Medical First Responders and one Paramedic on board. Mike is doing an assessment of the entire departmentís equipment. President Jordan informed the Council of a county-wide alarm system that will be implemented soon through grant funding.  He asked Mike to find out any information and report back at a later date.  

President Jordan gave the street report.  He turned in the bill for the roadwork on Main Street.  We will hold off payment until the final steps are finished in that project.  All new gravel was put on East Millen Street and Sherman Streets by Team Elmerís while they were here.  This will make possible paving of those streets much easier in the future.  President Jordan read a letter from the State Department of Transportation that will be giving extra money to our Village.  It will be $4, 988.27 that is divided up into four payments over the next year. We had accepted a bid for crack sealing at a prior meeting but put it on hold until we can see what kind of funding we have left over after the road projects we just completed.  In order to continue to maintain our roadways President Jordan asked about applying crack sealing on  Traverse Bay Street, Barlow Road, Main Street, and Second Street.  Phillips stated that he felt we need to do as much as possible before winter.  He made a motion to do all the crack sealing as accepted earlier.  Gauthier offered support.  The total package is $20,700.  Motion carried.  We will hold off on two of the minor projects until next year. The Sewer report was given.  Rich Gillespie stated that the system is doing very well.  

The Audit report was discussed.  There have been issues in the past that have carried over into the current year.  There were some accounting problems with balancing between the two types of book work.  From here on Mary will turn the bank statements over to Linda for reconciliation on the Quick books program. Linda will then put a balance sheet together so that Mary can then do her balancing.  A sewer committee will be formed to work on the sewer billings and stay on top of things.  A letter has been put together to inform the sewer customers of the changes.

In old business Stutzman asked about removing the signs from the old walking path that goes through much of the townsí property.  He feels that it is no longer useful as it is now.  Jordan states that he would like to see it expanded rather than being scratched.  He would like to have someone contact the original group for direction. Gauthier asked about spreading the mulch at the playground.  President Jordan asked her to contact Dave James for the DDA and Teresa Hart and Naomi Potter of the playground committee as well as Eric Monnier and others involved in the beautification and Brownlee Lake Association for help in getting a work bee together.  Thanks goes out to Dick Somers for his work on the ball fields.  Naylor thanked everyone for their help on the Village Council these past several years.  President Jordan thanked him for his dedication and helping us out on many projects.

In new business Somers stated that we need to move the faucet that is currently inside the new ball field. Naylor asked about the status of salt for wintertime.  President Jordan stated that we will look into it shortly.

President Jordan gave his report:  
  • Zoning books have been handed out to Council Members. 
  • Painting has been done at the Village Hall, fire hall and bathrooms at the ball diamonds.  Bathrooms have been winterized at the playground and ball fields. Someone forced the doorway open and used the bathroom in spite of it being closed and winterized.  
  • All Village vehicles have been readied for winter. There has been a lot of service work done on them as well as painting on the dump truck.  Steve has put together a service record for each vehicle.  
  • Beautification Committee has checked on the Christmas lights and will be ready to decorate. Bonny will talk with Debbie Shaneour and DDA members about ordering extra lights.  
  • Human Resources Committee meeting will be held soon.  Motion was made by Gauthier with support from Stutzman to allow the Human Resources Committee to write a contract up for Steve Slater and have it approved by our Attorney.  Citizen of the year committee will also be held at the same time. 
  • Main Street has a drainage issue between Gauthierís and the DNR office.  President Jordan stated that we can fix the issue using a 2 piece plastic unit for about $247 or 1 piece steel for $363.  Motion was made by Phillips that we go with the plastic unit.  Stutzman offered support.   Carried. President Jordan contacted Greenscape and they will come out and do the catch basins as weíve done in the past for $1500.  
  • President Jordan stated that we need to purchase 5 gallons of yellow paint for use throughout the village.  He suggested we may need to put it into the new budget. 
  • Gauthier asked about the status of Christmas Decorations. President Jordan said he will be working with the DDA and Beautification Committee to see about ordering some new decorations every year. 
  • We need to consider doing some work on the boat launch.  Brownlee Lake Association is interested in applying for a DNR grant to fund a pavilion and new boat launch.  They would help with matching funds if they are able to get the grant.  However, in order to get the grant process rolling we will need to update our Recreation Plan.  It would cost nearly $2400 to update it.  It will be added to our list of priorities for the upcoming budget meetings.  
  • Kent Gauthier asked about putting a pavilion in at the Flights of Imagination play area as well.  President Jordan stated that we can certainly see about applying for additional funding for that as well.  
  • Trick or Trunk and Chili Cook-off event will be held on Saturday October 25th.  The Trick or Trunk will be held from 11 am to 12:30 p.m.  The Chili Cook-off will be held from 11 a.m. till 1 pm. Additional information can be obtained by checking the Village website at lincolnmi.com.  
  • Mary Kossa and Phil have been putting together a list of supplies along with Village Maintenance man Steve Slater. They are in the process of getting all the dispensers of a uniform nature.  
  • A Michigan State flag was presented and will be put up in the hall soon.  Thanks to Kathy Putsky for her help in securing it.  

Motion was made by Gauthier with support from Phillips to pay the bills. Carried.  Motion to adjourn was made by Gauthier with support from Stutzman. Carried.  

Trick or Treat hours are set as 5:30 p.m.to 7:30 p.m. on Friday October 31st.

Linda K. Somers
Village Clerk
Lincolnmi.com
 
 © 2006 - 2018   Village of Lincoln by AccuNet Web Services