May 2012

 

VILLAGE COUNCIL PROCEEDINGS

MAY 7, 2012

 

Lincoln Village Council met on Monday May 7th at 7 p.m. at the Village Hall.  Meeting was opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.  Those in attendance included; President Jordan, Treasurer Kossa, Clerk Somers, Deputy Clerk/Treasurer Stutzman and Council Members Gauthier, Healy, Lask, Naylor and Stutzman. Absent was Council Member Somers. Also present were Attorney Cook and several guests.

 

Minutes of the April meeting were approved on a motion from Gauthier with support from Healy.  Treasurer’s report was approved subject to audit on a motion from Gauthier with support from Stutzman. Treasurer Kossa noted that a payment has been made on the fire truck – only 2 payments remain.  She asked that we be vigilant in keeping our spending down.

 

The fire department has a golf scramble coming up on May 20th at White Pines Golf course in Hubbard Lake.  Fire Chief Leroy Hall said the department is still interested in putting more teams together.  Work is ongoing on the brush rig; decals are ready as well as a light bar for the top.  He is putting together more information for an emergency disaster plan for the village. 

 

Jordan stated that the car show is scheduled for the last Saturday in August and he would like to have the fire department be present there.  It was further noted that maps of the fire coverage for each individual township have been sent out.

 

Deb Shaneour gave an update on the beautification committee.  They are hoping to put plants around the poles yet this week.  New benches are put together and have been placed in the downtown region.  For anyone interested in ordering a bench in honor and memory they should contact Deb at 989-736-8346.  She stated that there is a lot of work to be done at the Flights of Imagination area.  Flower beds along the fence line need to be taken care of as soon as possible.  Deb asked about getting a group of volunteers together to clean it good and add mulch.  She will work with President Jordan to set up a work bee. 

 

Connie Stutzman said that the Planning Commission has changed the date of their meeting to June 21st because of a prior commitment by Denise Cline of NEMCOG. 

 

In Old Business

Stutzman stated that he has flower boxes set up at the Flights of Imagination and will be planting them soon.  He said that a major cleanup is needed at the playground.  Jordan stated that a committee needs to be set to maintain the area properly.  Bonny Gauthier and Sara Healy offered to help set things in motion, Jordan suggested that Teresa Hart be contacted and included.   

Gauthier said that the grant she applied for won’t be given any consideration until August 1st.  Apparently the April 1st deadline was for the scholarships only.  Bonny will be in contact with Josh Pagels from the Little League Baseball association and continue to work on this project.  Healy stated that she is working with Dick Shepard to set things up for the Memorial Day ceremony. Sara asked that we pay for the advertisement and Jordan stated that we should also be responsible for funds to pay Rex Manning for his time.  Jordan noted that there is a lot of time donated by Dick Shepard and he feels that the entire council should be involved in helping make it happen.  Sara asked that people show up to help on May 28th at 10:30 to help set up and then to help take things apart afterwards. The ceremony will take place in Railroad Park, next to the Village Hall. Refreshments will be served following the ceremony. 

 

In new business Lask presented a flyer regarding the children’s art exhibit.  Art projects will be on display at various locations in the county.  She asked about an incident regarding someone shooting a skunk inside the village.   Jordan stated that it is illegal to discharge firearms inside village limits.  Stutzman asked about a sign at the ball diamond to restrict dogs in the area.  Jordan said that if anyone is observed taking pets into the area they should be asked politely to leave – if they refuse to do so police should be contacted.

 

President Jordan read a letter of completion regarding the demolition grant.  It has been completed and closed.  Bob Jones from the DDA will be putting final paperwork together and it will be boxed up and placed in the vault.  Jordan talked about a report from the Sewer Commissioner as well as from the Street Administrator monthly.  Motion was made by Lask with support from Naylor to require a monthly Sewer and Street report be turned in by the 1st of each month.  Motion carried. 

 

Jordan thanked everyone who worked on the putting the benches together – he noted that 17 benches were put together in 22 minutes.  A meeting will be held soon with Mary, Linda, Phil and Dick to iron out some issues.  A bowling fundraiser is being held on May 19th at 7p.m. to benefit the Brownlee Lake Association.  The cost is $20.00 each and all funds will be used for the cleanup project on the lake.  Repairs are needed along West Main Street and Jordan stated that he will have Dick work on tearing out that section of sidewalk as it is crumbling badly. 

 

Jordan asked about information that was received from FEMA regarding passing a resolution to conform to the flood plain requirements.  Motion was made by Stutzman with support from Gauthier; Roll call vote was taken.  Gauthier, Healy, Lask, Naylor, Stutzman, all ayes.  Somers was absent.  Motion passed.

 

Motion to pay the bills as presented was made by Gauthier with support from Stutzman.  Carried. 

Motion to adjourn was made by Gauthier with support from Stutzman.  Carried. 

 

Linda K. Somers

Village Clerk

lincolnmi.com

 

 

 
 © 2006 - 2018   Village of Lincoln by AccuNet Web Services