MAY 2011

 

MAY 2011 Village Minutes & Notice of Special Mtg

 

LINCOLN VILLAGE COUNCIL PROCEEDINGS
May 2, 2011

 

The Lincoln Village Council met on Monday May 2, 2011 at 7 P.M. at the Village Hall.  The Pledge of Allegiance was recited and the following were in attendance:  President Jordan, Treasurer Kossa, Clerk Somers and Council Members: Gauthier, Healy, Lask, Naylor, Somers and Stutzman.  Also present was Deputy Clerk/Treasurer Stutzman and guests.

Minutes of the April meeting were approved on a motion from Gauthier with support from Stutzman.  Note that we need to include Constance Stutzman’s name in minutes of April meeting.  Also need to change Agenda month name on tonight’s roster to April rather than March.  Treasurer’s report was approved subject to audit on a motion from Gauthier with support from Somers. 

In public comment Debbie Shaneour, Cathy Putsky and Joan Toombs, members of the beautification committee and streetscape committees talked about their work in the various areas.  Jordan thanked the group for their efforts and work in the community.  Pat Nelson stated that the baseball season is behind schedule due to the weather.  He said replacement sod will be put in place on Thursday and should be looking good in a few weeks.  There are ball tournaments scheduled for the area 11 & 12 year olds the end of this month.  He thanked Dick Somers for his work on the diamonds.  Pat stated that all the players, parents and coaches will participate in cleaning up the fields at a picnic/cleanup day in the near future.  He stated that they are looking for help funding the necessary items that would help to finish the project.  Leroy Hall, Fire Chief approached the Council with a recommendation for approval for Penny Cholewa to join the Village Fire Department. Motion was made by Gauthier with support from Somers to approve Penny for the department.  Motion carried.  Leroy and assistant fire chief Scott DuBay attended a meeting in Alpena regarding issues that could affect the local fire departments.  He stated that they received a lot of valuable information for consideration.  He said they are looking into options for pager/radios for possible purchase by the departments.  Tony Escareno, Mike Serafin and Keith Thompson all passed their firefighter classes recently and will be graduating on Saturday.  Two of them are now enrolled in EMT classes.  Council members would like to congratulate the trio and say thank you for their efforts.  President Jordan asked about working with Leroy to implement a plan for residents of the community in case of emergency.  He also asked about getting the siren fixed that is to be used in such cases.

In old business Healy stated that she will be happy to work with Lask on the LAMP trail project.  Gauthier will continue working on the dedication of the Everett Schram memorial.  Stutzman stated that the Easter Egg Hunt went very well in the village this year.   Jordan stated that over 220 children participated and every child was given a prize.  Thanks go out to Teresa Hart and Naomi Potter for their hard work on this endeavor.  Thanks also go out to Eileen Oposnow for her wonderful photo coverage and the slide show she created for the Village Website.  Stutzman stated that he needs good black dirt for work on the flower bed he is going to put in at the Flight’s of Imagination this year.  Healy and Gauthier offered to work with Leroy Hall to begin the process of implementing an emergency plan for the Village.  Somers stated that we need to consider doing something about the Village’s dump truck as it is in need of several repairs.  He will be getting estimates for repairs on the vehicle and coming back to the Council for approval. It is possible that we may need to consider purchasing a different vehicle.  He will report back at the next meeting.  Naylor expressed concern about empty lots that need to be leveled and reseeded.  Jordan stated that as the weather improves we can look at taking care of it.  Somers said that there has been some vandalism of property again, tables have been broken etc.  President Jordan said there is a zero tolerance plan and we will follow through as necessary.  Lask gave a follow up report regarding a flood plan she looked at for the village.  Stutzman asked to remove Individual reports from the agenda.  All were in agreement to remove it. 

 President Jordan gave his report.  He received a call from our Insurance provider, Lappan Insurance.  He stated that he can give a 3 year guarantee on our insurance and will be attending the next meeting to answer questions regarding our policy and coverage’s.  Council members will make a decision after hearing his presentation in June.  Jordan asked Council Members to attend a meeting on Wednesday with a representative from the MEDC to close out the demolition grant.  The meeting will be held at the hall at 11 A.M.  He stated that work will begin on the Streetscape project very soon.  Work is scheduled to start with removal of existing power poles from 2nd street and Church Street to the south end of the easements.  Work is expected to begin very soon.  Gauthier asked about holding a town meeting so that residents can see what is planned for the community and give them a timeline of what is expected.  Jordan asked that all Council members attend any meeting that is held.  Gauthier will work with President Jordan to set something up for the meeting.  He said the façade grant project is going very well.  The application is nearing completion and ready to be submitted to the MEDC for approval.  Drawings have been made of planned changes and upgrades for the businesses and are very attractive.  Thanks go out to Jack Robinson of Sunrise Welding & Fabrication for work on our pontoon/swim platform in getting it ready for the upcoming season.  Thanks also go out to John Bernard of JB’s Auto/Marine for allowing use of his pontoon trailer to bring the swim platform out of storage and taking it for pressure testing on the pontoons.   Jordan would like to see about obtaining a blinking light stop sign for the corner of 2nd and Traverse Bay Street.  He further stated that he would like to go with a 4 way stop at Main & 2nd streets and use a flashing stop sign there also.  Memorial Day service will be held on May 30th at the railroad park beside the Village hall beginning at 2 P.M.  Mary Kossa will be writing letters of invitation for those who participated last year to come back again this year.  Jordan expressed concern about the old grain elevator building.  There are notices that need to be prepared by Zoning Administrator Troy Somers for the owner to take immediate action.  President Jordan thanked Connie Stutzman for taking on the role as Planning Committee Chairperson.  She has done an outstanding job and he lauded her work along with that of Tina Healey for her work as the Secretary to the group.  There is still a need for another person to work on the Planning Commission.  Anyone interested should contact Jordan.  Marsha Simmons contacted Mary Kossa about a ceremony for the 150 year anniversary of the Civil War and also a dedication of a headstone of the last Civil War casualty buried in Twin lakes Cemetery.  The group would like to camp at Barlow Road Park in September.  Council Members offered their support for the group to come to the Village.

 Connie Stutzman presented copies of the Village’s master plan that was recently adopted.  Work will now begin on rewriting the Village ordinances. 

Motion to pay the bills as presented was made by Stutzman with support from Gauthier.  Carried.  Motion to adjourn was made by Healy with support from Gauthier.  Carried. 

Linda K. Somers

Village Clerk

Lincolnmi.com



NOTICE

A public hearing will be held at the Lincoln Village Hall on Tuesday May 17th,  2011 at 7 p.m.  The purpose of the meeting will be to present details on the upcoming Streetscape project. Members of the DDA board and Village Council will be present and look forward to meeting with Village Residents. Any questions or concerns can be addressed at this meeting. We look forward to sharing with Village Residents the details of the Streetscape project.

Phillip S. Jordan

Village President

 

 
 © 2006 - 2018   Village of Lincoln by AccuNet Web Services