July 2011

 

VILLAGE COUNCIL PROCEEDINGS
JULY 5th, 2011

The Lincoln Village Council met on Tuesday July 5th at 7 p.m. at the Village Hall.  Meeting opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.  Those in attendance included; President Jordan, Treasurer Kossa, Clerk Somers, Deputy Clerk/Treasurer Stutzman, and Council Members, Gauthier, Lask, Naylor, Somers and Stutzman.  Absent was Council Member Sara Healy.  Also present was Attorney Cook and guests. 

Minutes of the May meeting were approved on a motion from Gauthier with support from Somers.  Treasurer’s report was approved subject to audit on a motion from Gauthier with support from Stutzman. 

Leroy Hall, Fire Chief and Scott DuBay Assistant Fire Chief attended the meeting and presented Ryan Mendyka for consideration as a new fire fighter/first responder.  Motion was made by Gauthier with support from Lask to appoint Ryan Mendyka as a new firefighter/first responder.  Carried.  Ryan already has all the necessary certification in place and will mainly be working with the department as a firefighter.  Leroy stated that the DNR grant is nearing completion and they have been able to purchase additional pagers and batteries.  President Jordan stated that he will be working with Joan Gonyea and Leroy as well as Treasurer Mary Kossa to close out the FEMA grant.

Sue Kennard of the Brownlee Lake Association stated that the project to clean up the lake has started.  It has been 10 years of hard work, fund raisers, Texas Hold-em’s, boat parades etc to get the funding in place.  Twenty One thousand feet of tubing were placed in the lake and the rest of the materials will be put together starting tomorrow.  There are 7 sites where stations will be placed.  All riparian owners have agreed to look after the individual sites that are located near their properties. The target date for finishing the project is Friday.  The system will be tested for ½ hour prior to beginning the actual process of turning the system on for the duration of the summer and fall.  Although the Association is still short $15,000 members decided to go ahead with the project and continue fund raising efforts.  Ron Kennard stated that there will be an additional fixed cost of $4,000 to $5,000 per year to keep the pumps running 24 hours per day from April to November. District Health Department #2 will be testing the water at the beach as well as the people who are installing the system.  Ron stated that the lake will “stop dying” as of Friday!!  Thanks Ron & Sue for all your efforts.

In old business Stutzman stated that after checking on prices for purchasing a Village Christmas tree it was decided to use the tree that is located by the Village Hall.  John will check on getting electric installed for use in the area.  He stated that the Civil War re-enactment was very nice although he would like to have had a better turnout.  The group stated that this was a wonderful place to stay and they thoroughly enjoyed their time.  They would like to come back next year.  Jordan stated that there were issues that needed to be taken care of for the future and he would like to form a committee to work on it for next year.  Jordan thanked Marsha Simmons for all her help during the festivities.  Gauthier brought the group up to date on the planned dedication of the Everett Schram ball field to be held on July 23rd at noon.  She stated that they are still looking for people to sign up to play in a fun type softball game.  Anyone interested in playing or those wanting more information should call Bonny Gauthier at 989-736-3844 or Sharon Ginder at 989-736-8314.  It is also possible that there will be a little league game being played that day.  She stated that the inside of the Flights of Imagination needs some attention.  Jordan stated that the entire complex needs work so there is a possibility of getting the Lincoln Lions and the beautification committee together for a work bee. 

In new business Somers stated that the dump truck needs a lot of repairs.  Village helper Ray Somers has looked at what types of repairs need to be done.  It appears that it could cost in the neighborhood of $10,000 to repair it completely or possibly $15,000 to get a newer truck.  Dick will see about having someone work on it in Alpena. 

President Jordan gave his report.  The small dock has been fixed at the beach and the sign has been moved.  The posts from the big dock still need to be taken out, hopefully yet this week.  Jordan stated that the new pontoon/dock needs the ladder to be attached and anchors to be added.  The security cameras at the playground will be installed very soon.  There are currently 2 poles in place ready to have the cameras put up.  NEMCOG has been notified that we want them to redo our ordinances and help us get things going in the right direction.  John Klinger, Gustin Township supervisor has indicated that they would also like to work with us and NEMCOG to see this plan worked out.  Jordan stated that he has talked with officials from Hawes Township and asked to be included in their next tri-township meeting.  He suggested that members of the Planning Commission should attend the next meeting once we have been notified.  Jordan brought a package regarding a fiber-optic company that wants to work within the Village to bury fiber optic cable along the roadway.  Attorney Cook looked the permit over and stated that he believes we should pass the resolution to allow Merit Incorporated to work within the Village.  An authorization to approve the request submitted under the Metro Act to Merit Network was made by Gauthier with support from Stutzman. 

Roll call vote was taken; Gauthier, Lask, Naylor, Somers, Stutzman, all aye.  Absent was council member Healy.  Resolution passed. 

Jordan stated that there several roads being closed during the streetscape project.  He asked that motorists be aware that the entire length from Main to Traverse Bay will be closed and access can be made from the side streets.  Jordan has talked with personnel from the Sheriff’s Department, the EMS and road commission offices to alert them of the closures.  Jordan stated that we are still waiting for official closing papers from the demo grant.  The façade grant is moving forward and we are still waiting for word on whether we are approved.  Jordan stated that Huron Community Bank has a new manager and he looks forward to doing lots of things in the community.  Meeting will be held next week for selection of Citizen of the Year.  Those on the committee include, Kossa, Somers, Naylor and Jordan.  Letter was received from Gustin Township regarding their intent to remove lilac bushes beside the Gustin township hall.  Dick will work on the project later next week.  Letter was received from Dave James regarding the new lighting for the streetscape project.  Dave has calculated a way to save money on the new light fixtures by installing dimmer type switches on them.  President Jordan stated that he received information from Alpena –Montmorency- Alcona Educational Service District Great Parents, Great Start regarding a Playgroup being held in Lincoln.  The group will meet on Mondays in July between 10 & 11 a.m. at the playground area.  Children between the ages of 0 & 5 are welcome as well as siblings.  All materials are provided and there will be lightly structured activities.  Any questions may be directed to Heather at 989-354-3101 extension 121.

Motion to pay the bills as presented was made by Lask with support from Gauthier.   Motion to adjourn was made by Stutzman with support from Lask.  Carried.

 

Linda K. Somers

Village Clerk

Lincolnmi.com

 

 
 © 2006 - 2018   Village of Lincoln by AccuNet Web Services