FEB 2012

 

VILLAGE COUNCIL PROCEEDINGS
February 6, 2012

 

The Lincoln Village Council met on Monday February 6, 2012 at 7 p.m. at the Village Hall.  Meeting opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.  In attendance included: President Jordan, Treasurer Kossa, Clerk Somers, Deputy Clerk/Treasurer Stutzman and Council Members Gauthier, Lask, Somers and Stutzman.  Council Members Healy and Naylor were absent as well as Attorney Cook.

Minutes of the January meeting were approved on a motion from Gauthier with support from Somers.  Jordan noted that one of the tanks referenced in the minutes is not repairable.  He also noted that he believes the curb/sidewalk issue has been resolved, he doesn’t believe the individuals are driving over the curbing any more. 
Treasurer’s report was approved subject to audit on a motion from Gauthier with support from Stutzman.  Treasurer Kossa stated that we have paid the $40,000.00 commitment to the DDA for the streetscape project.  She has stated she has paid the DDA for tax funds that we normally pay in April.  In doing so we have paid everything up that is owed and it has helped to put the DDA in a better position to pay their bills for the streetscape project. 
Fire Department report was given by chief Leroy Hall.  He stated that the brush rig is being readied for installation of the water tank and pump.  The ice rescue training took place last week on Brownlee Lake.  He stated that approximately 15 people participated.  Training for firefighters challenge is being held weekly in Mikado.  He stated that Duracell Company sent packages to several area fire departments containing approximately 1000 batteries (AA & AAA).
Connie Stutzman, Planning Chairperson stated that the combined meeting with Gustin Township on January 12th went very well.  We will continue to hold these meetings bi-monthly to work on redoing our Planning and Zoning ordinances.  Jordan thanked Connie for her continued work in the office, sorting and filing paperwork.
Deb Shaneour stated that the beautification committee is looking at putting up banners on 30 of the light poles at a cost of $1,500.00. Both the Village and the DDA are interested in working together to purchase the banners.  She stated that there are 17 benches ready to be picked up and put together when spring arrives.  She asked about use of salt on the streets and sidewalks.  Jordan stated that business owners are advised to use salt as necessary on the sidewalks and workers are being cautious with their use of salt on the roadways also.  They are doing their best to keep salt off the new trees. 
Ted Shaneour presented the council with a variance request for his property on N. Sleeper Drive.  President Jordan turned the matter over to Planning Chairperson Connie Stutzman.  New area residents Jesse and Patricia Scott were introduced and both stated they are eager to join with Village residents in the ongoing groups such as the beautification committee.

In old business Stutzman stated that he was not pleased with the removal of snow on the sidewalks.  He asked about having something different done for next year.  Jordan stated that the DDA is looking into purchasing a machine to take care of it. Somers stated that he went over the equipment and has put together a list of repairs that are needed.  He stated that the windshield wipers on the John Deere as well as the starter need to be fixed.  The pickup needs extensive repairs – axles, 4 wheel drive and front end.  The dump truck needs work done on the Salter as well as a new fuel tank.  Somers stated that the priorities are for light bars for the top of both vehicles.  Jordan stated that it is possible that we will be purchasing a new or slightly used truck soon.  Somers gave dimensions for the ball field and what is needed to complete it.  Gauthier stated that she has been putting together information to apply for a grant to help pay for the ball field.  She will work with coaches and try to get everything ready to turn the grant in for the April 1st deadline.  Lask stated that she has been asked about the horseback riders in the village leaving their “messes” behind.  It is asked that they be mindful about the matter and to take care of things.

President Jordan gave his report.  He stated that he received a letter from Hawes Township asking for some language changes to the fire contract. He stated that two meters were taken out near the ball fields and will be rerouted in the spring. 

He stated that the poles are still in place because Consumers Energy wants a lot of money to remove them.  All the new streetlights have been reprogrammed and it should mean a huge savings in the future.  Joe and Dave James helped Phil do the programming last week.  The lights are at full power for the early evening hours and then go down over 2 more cycles.  Over all it is still possible to be safe while saving money.

President Jordan stated that we need to make plans to install our own well near the fields.  He stated that we have been using water provided by Brad Cole and he feels that is unfair for the Village to continue using it.  Jordan stated that he is looking forward to taking each Council Member to lunch and talking about their plans for the future.  He said the façade grant is still outstanding and no decisions have been made regarding funding at this time.  The governor is now beginning to release funds that were previously tied up and President Jordan stated he believes we will be in good standing to receive more funds.  He said 4 businesses stand to profit if the funds are released under the façade grant.  He presented the paintings done by grade school students from Alcona Elementary approximately 30 years ago.  The paintings have been in a hallway at the schools and Treasurer Kossa is responsible for getting things going to secure it.  Thanks Mary for your help and School Superintendant Shawn Thornton for allowing us to have these paintings.  They will be hung in the Village Hall.

Gauthier made a motion to pay the bills as presented.  Stutzman offered support.  Motion carried. 
Motion was made by Stutzman with support from Gauthier to adjourn. Motion carried.

 

Linda K. Somers

Village Clerk

Lincolnmi.com

 
 © 2006 - 2018   Village of Lincoln by AccuNet Web Services