April 2013

 
VILLAGE COUNCIL PROCEEDINGS 
April 1, 2013

The Lincoln Village Council met on Monday April 1, 2013 at 7 p.m. at the Village Hall.  Meeting opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.  Those present included President Phillip Jordan, Treasurer Mary Kossa, Clerk Linda Somers and Council Members Bonny Gauthier, Sara Healy, Philip Naylor, John Stutzman and Richard Somers.  Absent was Kristin Lask, council member.  
Minutes of the March 4th budget hearing were approved on a motion from Gauthier with support from Stutzman.   Minutes of the March 4th regular meeting were approved on a motion from Somers with support from Gauthier.  Treasurer’s report was approved subject to audit on a motion from Gauthier with support from Stutzman.

President Jordan read a letter of resignation from Council Member Kristin Lask.  Motion to accept with regret the resignation of Kristin Lask was made by Stutzman with support from Gauthier.  Motion carried.  Motion to waive the re-advertisement of a vacancy on the Council was made by Stutzman with support from Naylor and to also allow Philip Phillips -to fill that spot.  Mr. Phillips has sent a letter of intent to serve and has been waiting to join the group.  He was immediately sworn in by Attorney David Cook.

Leroy Hall, fire chief stated that Anthony Escareno has turned in his gear as he has moved from the county.  Leroy stated that he has been able to get some repairs done on the truck with some help from his co-workers.  

In public comment Mary Kossa said she and Phil Jordan had been looking through some old paperwork and found an old book of records that she would like to have rebound and preserved. She asked for input from the Council.  Following a discussion Mary offered to find out about the cost of having the work done.  She will bring the book in for members to look at for the May meeting.

Richard Somers gave his Sewer report.  He stated that he is having trouble with the loader and it is currently being fixed by the crew at Viking.  He stated that the sewer pumps are functioning very well.  He has a list of tanks that will be pumped as soon as the frost is out of the ground.  He will be trying to get figures together for possible street repairs in the future.

In old business Gauthier will be contacting the ballplayer group regarding the ball tournaments that are normally held here each August.  Healy stated that a” Let’s Move” meeting will be held on Thursday April 4th at the Harrisville Library.  Somers stated that the water reports have come back all clear on our buildings.  He was advised to post a copy of the reports inside the hall near the bathroom and in the shop beside the well pump.

Phil Phillips stated that he is very impressed with the idea of preserving the book Mary referenced.  He said he would like to consider a time capsule to promote the community.  Healy stated that the movie “Lincoln” was just released on DVD.  President Jordan stated that he is very impressed with the Active Voice group that worked with our community showing the Lincoln movie in February.  All the funds have been received and all bills involved with the project have been paid.  Gauthier asked about a broken curb along Second Street.  She also talked about the ball field project and grant funds.  Sara Healy will work with her on this endeavor.  Stutzman asked why Village funds can’t be used to help fund the Easter Egg hunt.  He stated that since we give money towards the fireworks in July and also we donate funds for the Festival of Lights in December.  He questioned if this would fall under the same kind of funding requests.  Stutzman said he feels that since we are trying to draw people into the town, he feels we need to consider giving a donation towards it.  Gauthier said she does not feel we should fund the whole project and should simply be available only if necessary.  Healy said she feels that if it becomes a financial hardship then the group should consider scaling it back.  Phillips stated that he believes we need to be careful about setting ourselves up from a liability standpoint.  Healy stated that she thinks the event is wonderful but she does not feel taxpayer money should be used.  Council stated that they are grateful for the work Teresa Hart and Naomi Potter have done putting the project together. Discussion was held about the Flights of Imagination and the work that also needs to be done there. Stutzman stated that he is afraid people are going to get burned out with so many of the same folks working on the projects.  President Jordan stated that there are 3 work bees scheduled at the play area and a walk through will be done soon to evaluate what exactly needs to be done.  Somers stated that someone tore up the outfield at the small ball field.  Gauthier advised that the tape should be pulled from the camera to try to identify the culprits.

President Jordan stated that the lights need to be taken down from the trees in town.  The check has been received from the Insurance Company for repairs of the Village Pick-up.  The grant close out is moving very slow.  A lot of paperwork has been sent out and continues on the project.  Two years ago $5,000 was donated for purchasing trees by the Lincoln Lions.  Jordan would like to dedicate a spot with a plaque commemorating the group for all their help.  Council members gave their support.  Jordan will report back at the next meeting.  President Jordan stated that he got a call regarding Barlow Road/F-41 and the roadwork that was done back in 1999 by Wilcox Engineering.  The resident is experiencing water related problems and questioned if anything could be done.  Attorney Cook stated that the statue of limitations has been up for quite some time and there is no obligation on the part of the Village.  

Motion to pay the bills as presented was made by Gauthier with support from Stutzman.  Motion carried. Motion to go into an Executive Closed Session on a request from Richard Somers to talk about an employee related matter was made by Gauthier with support from Somers.  Also in attendance were President Jordan, Treasurer Kossa, Clerk Somers, and Attorney Cook. The regular meeting was closed at 8 p.m.  Meeting re-opened at 8:25.  Motion to adjourn was made by Stutzman with support from Gauthier.

Linda K. Somers
Village Clerk
lincolnmi.com
 
 © 2006 - 2018   Village of Lincoln by AccuNet Web Services