“The Village of Lincoln is a family oriented, safe and friendly modern lake-side community with an attractive street scape and prosperous business district providing environmentally friendly recreation and entertainment opportunities for residents and visitors of all ages."
News to Know
Proposed Recreation Plan
Grease Trap Ordinance Amendment
Recreation Plan Survey
Flights of Imagination Fundraiser
Click here to download the fence picket form. Each personal fence picket is $25.00 and will go to help keep and maintain the flights of imagination playgrou.d
ACCOA Christmas Craft & Bake Sale
Public Hearing Notice
The Village of Lincoln Planning Commission will hold 2 public hearings on January 13, 2020, Monday. Beginning at 5:30 PM, the Planning Commission will hold a public hearing on the Grease Trap Ordinance in Restaurant’s, which will amend the Village Zoning Ordinance. The second public hearing will be held at 5:45 PM regarding the 2020 Village of Lincoln Parks and Recreation Plan. The hearings will be held at the Village Hall located at: 114 W. Fiske Street, Lincoln, MI.
Copies are available for Public Review at the following locations:
- Village Web Site lincolnmi.com
- The Lincoln Branch of the Alcona County Public Library
- The Lincoln Branch of the Alcona County Commission on Aging (Senior Citizens Center)
Planning Commission In Need
The Village of Lincoln is seeking individuals to serve on the Planning Commission. Interested applicants must be a resident of the Village. Please consider becoming a part of this important group that will shape the future of your community. A letter of interest should be sent to:
Village of Lincoln
P.O. Box 337
Lincoln, MI 48742
Attn: Planning Commission
The vision for the village of Lincoln, located in Alcona County Michigan, began with its settlement in 1885. It is believed that the site was chosen because of the twin lakes, Brownlee and Lincoln, which surround the village. Lincoln Lake would eventually serve as an integral instrument for the logging industry, as it was used to transport lumber to a nearby train depot for the Detroit and Mackinac Railroad. The area was platted in 1886 by A.J. Freer, a surveyor hired by Alger Smith and Company.
The platting was unique in that it contained property in both Hawes and Gustin Township, with the village originally called West Harrisville. With the Local Act of 1907-No. 575, Gustin and Hawes Township incorporated the north half of section one, in town twenty-six north, range eight east, and the s ½ of section 36, town twenty-seven north, range eight east, as the newly named Village of Lincoln.
The first election to establish a village government was held on March 19, 1908. The council consisted of W.G. Anderson, president; Charles W. Schram, clerk; Peter LeCuyer, treasurer; Lorenzo L. Mills, assessor; Mack Apsey and T. A. Ferris, trustees. One week later the first council meeting was held with meetings to follow on the first Monday of each month. The council strove to make many improvements in the village; such as generating funds for a dock structure on Lincoln Lake, creating a village park for camping and picnics, and installing sidewalks in the business district.
Throughout the years Lincoln has continued to grow, and is now called home by 374 residents. The area consists of a close-knit community with thriving local industry, restaurants, gas stations, grocery store, fitness facility, post office, hardware, laundromat, drug store, car dealerships, banks, library, churches, Commission on Aging Center, and K-12 school. Lincoln also offers year-round recreation including cross-county skiing, snowmobiling, hunting and fishing. As we continue to improve the Village of Lincoln, we invite you to share in our vision, visit our village for one of our events, or become a part of our community.